Monday, December 22, 2008

USS Yorktown

Today was our tirp to see the USS Yorktown. It is down here in Charleston SC. That is where Robert and I are spending Christmas this year. His Grandmother rented a house for the week that sits by the ocean. It is a really nice house.

But back to the Yorktown. This is a ship the Grandpa (Robert's) landed on in WWII. When his plane landed on it, the Right wing broke off, so what the crew did is they tossed the plane overboard. Cause they didnt have the supplies to fix the plane on board.
This is Robert and Grandpa in front of the plane the Grandpa did most of his flights in during WWII. It is called the TBM "Avenger."
Here is Robert and Grandpa in front of the SBD bomber plane. It was another plane the Grandpa flew in.
Grandpa remembering good and bad time with Avenger plane. He played with the Prop.
Grandpa telling us different stories about the planes that were on display and what they did. It was really cool to hear.

Grandpa is touching the wheel of the plane he learned to fly in. It is a (Robert forgot the name sorry) I dont know the names. But Grandpa was really funny about the wheel, he got under it and said I have never seen this side of the plane.
Robert had be get behind teh wheel of a Fighter Jet.
Then Robert got in it. He was acting like he was in the air and fighting. It was so cute. He was like a kid in a amusemnet park.
This is the place where the pilots got briefed on their missions. It is called the Briefing Room.
Grandpa is Briefing us the way they were briefed, only he cleaned it up for us. It was pretty halairous watching him act like the Captian.
Robert siting in the Captian's Chair that overlooked the Flight Deck. In the Bridge.
My turn in the seat. I was freezing cold cause the wind was crazy out on the flight deck.
I am now behind the Helm, it is the wheel that controls the ship. I think.
Robert is sitting in the Gunner's seat of a 40 mm Flat Gun. It is a anti-Aircraft gun. Basically it shot down the Japanese Kamazia, the sucide bombers.
Robert in front of the F-14 Tomact. The Top Gun Plane. And Robert's Favorite Jet. It is no longer in service.
Robert is front of the F-18 Hornet, it is a Fighter jet. This is a modern day jets that we use today.
After going to see the USS Yorktown, we went and picked up the rest of the family and went to dinner at this really amazing Irish pub.

Here is the family, Going from the left, Robert, Mom, Dad, Tatianna, Lesile, Grandpa, Grandma, MicKayla, Josh, and Ariyanna, I am taking the Picture.


While waiting for the Dad and Josh to get the vans, we put MicKayla by the Christmas Tree the pub had, and she was just so cute we had to get a picture of her. She was so enamored with it.

In all today was a very fun, and Amazing day. I couldnt have had a better time seeing the Yorktown, cause I went with someone who had actually been on it when it was a still working ship. I would recommend that to everyone. It you are going to visit a Naval ship, go with some one who had been on it when it was a working ship and has memories of it.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

wow that looked really cool. Other then being cold looks like you guys had lots of fun!